Grab Your Sunscreen and Head to the Dutchess Fair
- August 25, 2015
Who doesn’t love to go to the fair in the summer? We are lucky that the Dutchess Fair—the second largest county fair in New York State—is just a hop, skip, and a jump away. Each year, about 300,000 people come out for the six-day event. The Fairgrounds—roughly 144 acres total—straddle the Village and Town of Rhinebeck, NY, and the entrance is just off of Route 9. We love going out to support this wonderful event and the cause behind it, and here’s why.
The fair is put on by the Dutchess County Agricultural Society, an 80 member 501c3, whose mission is to “showcase, promote and sustain agriculture through education, display, competition and community involvement” with the vision of promoting our “rural and agricultural heritage.” This non-profit association receives no funding from Dutchess County or any other local governments, and yet they do so much for our community. Here are just a few of the things they do or have done:
· Offer 4 college scholarships each year for a total of $8,000
· Donated $10,000 in 2009 for the purchase of a mobile fire-fighting apparatus for the Rhinebeck Fire Department
· Donated $100,000 towards the Capital Building fund to expand the Northern Dutchess Hospital
· Purchased and donated bicycles for the Rhinebeck Village Police
· Hosts the Northern Dutchess Hospital Annual Gala at the Fairgrounds free of charge
· Half of the events held at the Fairgrounds are non-profit programs and fundraising events held at no charge
· Hundreds of thousands of dollars are raised at these non-profit fundraising activities that are held free of charge
These are just a few of the amazing things this society has done, and they couldn’t do it without the support from people like us for their annual county fair—truthfully.
Three-quarters of their annual income is made at the Dutchess Fair.
That’s why we encourage you to hit the road, go have some fun, and support a great non-profit at the same time. The fair is just around the corner, from August 25–30. Check out their site for fair highlights, concert line-up, directions, parking information, competition/exhibit forms, and more.
At Stenger, Diamond & Glass LLP, we love supporting those who are spearheading positive changes in our local community—and this is one of our favorites. We will be there for the fair’s infamous 4H milkshakes—will you? From our family to yours, we wish you a safe and fun time at the Dutchess Fair!