Every divorce has its complexities. The challenge of dividing assets in a straightforward, middle-class marriage is challenging enough. Distributing two salaries, two cars, one or more bank accounts, a house and time with children very often involves glitches and obstacles. Protecting each spouse’s rights and financial well-being while containing legal costs can be a balancing act for any couple going through a dissolution of marriage.
When high-dollar assets are part of the equation, the processes leading up to a complex divorce become even more intricate. A high-asset couple approaching divorce may face disputes and difficulties surrounding issues such as:
- Appraisals of real estate (the marital home as well as vacation homes and investment properties)
- Appraisals of jewelry, collectibles and other high-dollar-value assets
- Widely divergent incomes
- Business ownership by one or both spouses
- Retirement accounts such as pensions, deferred compensation and 401(k) savings accounts
- Possibly hidden assets
- Accurate determination of self-employment income
- Differing tax liabilities involved in different methods of property division
Dutchess County High-Asset Divorce Attorneys
Stenger, Diamond & Glass, LLP, represents both petitioners and respondents in divorce cases in New York. We are well prepared to advocate zealously for our clients, whether they are primary wage earners or dependent spouses.
We believe that the most important thing for a husband or wife in a high-asset divorce is to get counsel from an attorney who is a knowledgeable and well experienced advocate. Our divorce lawyers have advised clients in many Poughkeepsie complex divorces. Attorneys at our law firm understand how businesses and professional practices are valued. We are well versed in the structure of family-owned and closely held businesses, and we know what procedures to follow to obtain a fair and accurate valuation of such a business.