Karen E. Hagstrom began working at SDG Law in January of 2019, as part of the litigation team. She brings over 24 years of trial experience to the firm. Karen spent the first nine years of her career as a prosecutor for the Dutchess County District Attorney’s Office and the Dutchess County Attorney’s Office. As a Senior Assistant District Attorney, Karen served in the following Bureaus: Justice Courts, DWI, Special Victims, Narcotics, Welfare Fraud, and Violent Crimes. As a Senior Assistant County Attorney, Karen prosecuted child abuse and neglect cases in Family Court.
Karen has been in private practice for the past 15 years, focusing on tax certiorari, civil litigation, appellate advocacy, land use, and municipal law. In January, 2019, the Dutchess County Legislature confirmed Karen as Legislative Counsel.
Karen will expand SDG Law’s tax certiorari practice. She has assisted owners of commercial and residential real estate in reducing their real property taxes from initial negotiations with the Assessor to the filing of grievance complaints, appearances before Boards of Assessment Review, filing petitions, Article 78 motion practice, hearings and trial. Karen represented the Towns of Poughkeepsie and Rhinebeck for Tax Certiorari cases.
- Karen was the first prosecutor in Dutchess County to try a case without the testimony of a domestic violence victim, expanded the law on Aggravated Harassment in a domestic violence case, and convicted multiple gang members in a lengthy trial.
- Obtained favorable court decisions for property owners involving the reinstatement or implementation of religious, charitable and agricultural exemptions, and the appropriate valuation of a nursing home.
- Obtained favorable court decisions for municipalities, such as the dismissal of petitions for lack of standing and for failure to establish entitlement to a charitable exemption.
- Successfully dissolved a Limited Liability Company with a receiver appointed to liquidate its assets.
- Obtained favorable court decisions determining the scope and use of easements.
- Successfully argued in the Appellate Division to declare a contract void for its failure to state essential terms.
- Obtained an award of compensatory and punitive damages for a client in a defamation lawsuit after a lengthy civil jury trial involving multiple defendants.
At Stenger, Diamond & Glass LLP, our services include advising zoning, planning and town boards on New York State town law, general municipal law, public officers law, civil service law and SEQRA review.
SDG Law will handle pre-trial procedures including interlocutory hearings, and the port-trial procedures such as costs and enforcement of a judgment for individuals and businesses.
SDG Law will assist commercial agricultural and residential property owners with lowering their real property taxes.